Sunday, January 31, 2010

Houses For Haiti Night

Thanks to The Art Mill and all the wonderful people who came to make Houses For Haiti~ we had such a fun night creating things to help the children at the Rescue Center in Cazale.


We displayed photos and information about Haiti...


...and displayed Haitian artwork purchased in Port Au Prince while we were in Haiti early December.


The clay ~ ready to be transformed.


Learning how to create our houses.


One of my favorite things about the night was watching a group of people, with the exact same materials, create COMPLETELY different and amazing works of art.
Some people had a plan and a vision and went straight to work. Others, myself included, let the clay become whatever it was meant to be....and each house turned out so unique and wonderful.


Here are some of the houses, ready to dry for the next 7 days.



Even in this form they are too cute, and I can't wait to go back to paint them next weekend and see them after they've been fired in the kiln.


I decided to make mine based off of some of my favorite things about the houses I saw in Cazale. I loved the woodwork and the iron patterns in a lot of the houses we saw. Mine also has a thatched roof and I loved all the chickens running around ~ so decided to make a little rooster at the last minute.

Thank you to all who made this a possibility. We will let you know when they are available for purchase to help the Rescue Center!

No comments: